As the Philippine government’s vaccination program shifts into high gear and COVID-19 health protocols are now becoming a habit, rider groups from different parts of the country have started organizing long rides.
One of the upcoming major motorcycle events is the 10th Mindanao Freedom Ride (MFR). Staged by Norminring Motorbikes, it will give motorcyclists from the Southern Philippines a chance to enjoy riding and promote tourist destinations in the reigion, especially with local economies slowly reopening.
Happening from November 5 to 12, 2021, this year’s MFR is called ‘SASICA Escape,’ which stands for the bike club’s target travel spots—Samal, Siargao, and Camiguin. Riders will be able to appreciate the beauty of the island paradise, at the same time prove that you can join a group ride without compromising your safety and health.
The event is supported by the Department of Tourism (DOT) and the Tourism Promotions Board (TPB).
Norminring Motorbikes, led by president and CEO Jondi Lacson, recently held a riders’ briefing to make sure that the safety measures and health protocols will be strictly observed. ‘Strictly’ means one miss and you’re out of the big ride.
Maybe other rider groups could learn from this before organizing such events:
1) Health protocols
- Participants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- They must subject themselves to RT-PCR testing at least 48 hours before the start of the ride.
- They should have a Verification of Vaccine Certificate, as required by local government units. Vaccination cards will not be honored due to reported cases of fakes in the region.
- Riders are required to observe social distancing (one meter apart) at all times.
- They should always wear a face mask and bring sanitizer.
2) Safety measures
- Participants must subject their motorbike to a 15-point roadworthiness inspection at Norminring dealerships. The service period runs from October 1 to 23 and is free of charge.
- Only those who own motorbikes with 400cc engine displacement and above are allowed to join the event.
- In case a motorbike breaks down in the middle of the ride, the owner will be given five minutes to fix the problem. Failure to do so will result in a team of mechanics loading the unit into a backup vehicle for repair.
- Only those with advanced riding skills will be allowed to join. Rain or shine, the ride must go on.
In past Mindanao Freedom Rides, participating riders were able to complete the Philippine Loop while maintaining a clean road safety record. Obviously, Norminring Motorbikes wants to keep it that way.
Top Bikes Philippines is now on Quento! Click here to download the app and enjoy more articles and videos from Top Bikes Philippines and your favorite websites.